Friday, February 04, 2011

On Names

Almost none of my paintings have proper names, so I end up referring to them by the subject followed by the medium, but this one has a name

 (because Peter named it): 

The Creepy Tree I don't really think it's that creepy though. I suppose if I'd used a different color scheme it would have conveyed an entirely different sentiment while still expressing a complicated/solitary subject.

 ------------------------Post Edit/ more hormone induced crankiness------------------

If a pregnant woman tells you what she has decided will definitely be her child's name, please, for the love of all that is rolly, DON"T proceed to tell her about everyone you know with the same name, what you think of all those name-sharing folks, every possible nickname and how you think it should be spelled.   Sure, outwardly the pregnant woman might smile and nod and say "how interesting" but inside she is a bear and you are a hiker with a backpack full of granola and honey.

2 comments:

Just Me said...

Love that painting! And I can't say I haven't shared concerns with people about baby names they choose. Let's face it, nobody is really going to think that children named Lucifer or Beelzebub will do good things.

Mrs A said...

Maybe, but you have to admit that Ava Braun Ackerman does kind of roll off the tongue.