Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The art we love the most is that which expresses our truest self.

Usually, when I'm posting about art it's my own, but lately I've been kind of obsessed with my favorite artist Frieke Janssen's new series "Smoking Kids". I can't say exactly what it is about this particular series that I find so compelling- maybe because I spend so much of my time in endeavors to maintain/benefit the good health of my own daughter... it seems surreal to see children engaging in a harmful self-destructive behavior, like smoking.
Maybe it's because kids really do grow up soooo fast these days, and their adultesque expressions underlie the innocence and sweetness that's more natural to kids their age. Maybe because it's what smoking represents- a lack of concern for one's physical well-being, a need for relaxation beyond what one can conjure up without some kind of aid, and, perhaps, a sense of having given up a little. This girl with a sleepy jaded dreaminess,

in particular, is my favorite... probably because I see so much of myself in this portrait, and not just because I have a heart locket I love, and a pink sweater I could wear every day of the winter. At her age she should be happy and energetic, but she just looks so defeated and jaded. She looks exhausted and overwhelmed and full of dead dreams. I want to give her a hug, pour her a glass of milk... and maybe join her in a smoke. 

------------Post edit------------------------------------------------- 
You can see all of Frieke's work HERE. Also, like me, none of the kids in the photos are actually smoking- it's all painted chalk and incense.

No comments: