Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Chicken Soup for the teething toddler: Frozen Celery

I can't solve the world's problems.

I can't go back in time.

I can't give Dr A the medical residency he deserves.

I can't seem to make my mind stop racing long enough to get a fracking decent night's sleep.

But today... today I was a rock star to a fifteen month old because, even though I'm not the doctor, I was able to take away her pain today. In fifteen months, my sweet girl only grew four teeth, then this week, almost her entire mouth has turned red and swollen. Everything, whether it's my Dr Who box set or Dr A's $100 copy of Harrison's, becomes a teething toy the second it comes within her reach. Only one thing is so soothing I get a standing ovation the second I bring it out- frozen celery.           
 She's always loved celery, but one day I put it on the top shelf of my fridge (we call it the slushy shelf, because it's way colder than the rest of the fridge and turns cans of soda into partially frozen slushies) and the miracle that is frozen celery was introduced. Now she goes around with celery in her mouth like a tiny ridiculous mobster with a cigar. After about an hour of being toted around and gnawed on I have to pry it from her tiny furious fists and replace it with a fresh one. I hate hate hate using analgesics like orajel almost as much as I hate to see her in pain, so I'm thrilled to have found a completely organic remedy to her teething pain. Never in a million years would I have thought that frozen celery would be something I couldn't live without. but it is.    
   

No comments: