Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Improvement through documentation

I can't remember where I first heard the idiom
"That which is measured is improved."
I think it must have either been in reference to either study habits or weight loss, but I'm not sure which.
Of course, that idiom plays hand in hand with the old researcher's concept of 
"That which is measured is often altered simply by the act of being measured." 
(This is the reason why weight watchers et al require frequent weigh ins- measuring is one method of improving something. In this example I come back to weight loss, so perhaps it was originally in reference to weight loss that I heard it.) 
Anyhow, I sat down and made a list of ways I'd like to improve my life (not going to share that here, at least not just yet. Simple things, mostly. 
But not easily measurable for the most part.
How do you measure "Being a better Mom"
So, of course I come back to my first love, writing.
By writing down my efforts and the results I can give myself a record, a measuring stick for which there is no unit of measure.
By making it public I create a sense of accountability for myself (even though I'm pretty sure no one reads this blog anymore).

For the first week I've been focusing on 
"Be a better housekeeper"
I'm already on day four.
It has not gone well.
I thought that by more fully dedicating myself to keeping a cleaner house I would improve not just my life, but my family's life as well.
I was wrong.
More on that next time.



No comments: