Saturday, May 30, 2009

Mountains for my Mom

Last Summer, in the midst of a deep depression, my folks whisked me off to the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains.

If you've never been to Highlands, North Carolina, put it on your to do list. It is not only a fantastically quaint yet simultaneously culture packed little town, but it is surrounded by some of the most beautiful countryside anyone could dream of.

Artists flock to Highlands more and more, and it is easy to see why. The southern Appalachians provide endless inspiration.

I've had this painting bouncing around in my head for so long it is not even funny. Having finished it was actually a tremendous relief.

When Mother's Day came along this year I knew I wanted to create something personal for my Mom. Then, when I found this gorgeous hand carved Sant Anooka tray I knew it was the perfect vehicle for a scenic painting to honor my parents' thoughtfulness and love.

Thank Heaven my folks haven't gotten sick of getting paintings as gifts yet!

No comments: