Friday, January 08, 2010

Gifts of Christmas past

Remember that holiday you just spent a fortune on?

Now that it's January it seems like a long time ago, huh.

(And to think, Martha already has the next one planned and prepped!)

Well, now that it's over I can blog about gifts that were given and adventures that were had!

RIVETING!

kind of.

Okay, not really. It was actually pretty quiet.

...and by pretty quiet" I mean excruciatingly loud.

Because the hubby got his wish for an accordion. And in good time too- I hear there's an opening in the Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band. (R.I.P. Danny Federici.)

We had to travel to a distant land (Philly) to get it, and hoo boy, that trip deserves a post all of it's own.

Christmas shopping also took me to the magical NYC neighborhood known as Chinatown to buy my sis a 100% genuine fake Gucci watch.

I've got to hand it to the toothless African American gentleman who sold it to me- he was friendlier and more helpful than any of the sales clerks in stores where actual Gucci watches are being sold. Of course, those sales people don't have to abruptly close their shop up into a suitcase and run into the subway when a cop comes near.

I think they're spoiled.

I made a Bami Ballen for my eight year old bro (ala Cart Before The Horse- thanks again for being awesome! btw, my ballen came out super bumpy too.)

It's lots of tiny gifts wrapped up in hundreds of feet of crepe paper. As you unwrap the layers, different gifts come out.

Also, I have a now long standing tradition of getting him gifts that are going to annoy the socks off my Dad and now ex stepmom (RE: DRUM SET) so along with the candy, cash, gum, matchbox cars, and farm animals, I made sure to include a shiny new (ultra loud) whistle.

Did I mention he lives 12 states away?

Did I also mention I adore him? Cause I do.

He said it was a lot of fun to unwrap. I wrapped my sis's watch in the same way (with candy and junk included) but she thought it was less fun.

...less fun and fairly annoying. I guess how much fun unwrapping hundreds of feet of crepe paper is is largely determined by how close to eight years old you are.

I'm thinking the closer, the better.

How was your Christmas?

Merry and bright?

No comments: